Tuesday, February 1, 2011

3 Things I Love About Armstrong Flooring's Website

It took a blizzard in the Midwest to slow me down enough to have the time to write this blog post about Armstrong Flooring's website update. Actually it has been several months since the Armstrong website update, but I feel as a web developer I still want to point out and praise some of the things I think Armstrong does so well and most flooring manufacturers seem to miss.

Below are 3 things they are doing so well on their website. There are more, but I don't want to spend my night typing and doing more screen captures. After all, I have had to shovel driveways 3 times today.

1. Armstrong does a great job in blending SEO text and CSS into their web design. Their dropdown menus are not only very user-friendly but also a great example of blending relevant keywords/trigger words with exceptional CSS. As a web developer for years I can truly say this is top-shelf and doing it right takes lots of effort and is not cheap to do. Its another reason why they rank so high in the search engine results.


Click to enlarge
2. The DIY Flooring Skills Assessment is a terriffic idea! I wish I had thought of it. :) Not all people have the same skills for installing flooring, I know this too well after stapling down 1300 SQ FT of  hardwood flooring in our lake home. It's one thing to install a laminate click-lock floor versus installing a nail-down T&G 3/4" solid oak floor. Rather than allowing some consumers to fail, Armstrong tries to help steer them to floors that better match their skills. (Home Depot & Lowes should do the same.)


Click to enlarge

3. Recently I read in a FCW issue that Armstrong said their goal was to drive consumers to their aligned dealers that sell their products. To this end they have also shown great website insights by having the Find a Store link appear not only in the page header but also to the right of all their products. This is a great call-to-action and helps quickly connect flooring shoppers to Armstrong dealers.


Click to enlarge

One of my pet-peeves are flooring supplier's websites that force you enter a zipcode before they allow you to look at their products. To me that is the wrong approach to take in a consumer-driven medium. Armstrong Flooring and the new WFCA.org websites both do it right by placing the Find A Store Locator link within the page and in a noticeable location to help drive consumers when ready to find their local flooring stores.

Kudos to Armstrong!

2 comments:

  1. Your kudo's are very deserved. Armstrong has a very friendly, usable website.

    ReplyDelete